Propane Safety for Berkeley, Morgan, & Jefferson County, WV
Here’s how to protect your home or business
For close to 70 years, Roach Energy has been serving Berkeley, Morgan, Jefferson, and Washington counties. Our customers are our neighbors, and we care about you. That’s why we uphold the highest standards of providing safe propane delivery and service.
What to do if you smell gas
That concern for consumer safety extends to making sure you know what to do so you can protect your loved ones if you ever smell gas in your home, business, RV, camper—or any area around gas equipment.
The steps we discuss below are absolutely vital to protecting lives, property and public safety. They must be taken without delay as soon as you smell gas.
- Get everyone out of the house, building or wherever area you smell gas IMMEDIATELY
- Extinguish open flames, cigarettes and any other sources of ignition
- DO NOT use thermostats, electric switches, telephones or any other appliances until you are safely away from the building or area where you smelled gas
- Turn the gas shutoff valve on the propane tank or cylinder off if you can safely get to it
- Once you’re away from where you smelled gas, use your mobile phone or a neighbor’s phone to contact Roach Energy or emergency personnel
- Stay away from the area and don’t return or try to turn on the propane safety valve, even if you don’t smell gas anymore
- Give propane service technicians and/or emergency personnel time to check for escaped propane gas and repair the source of the leak
- Once the leak is repaired, the propane service technician also needs to carefully inspect all of the gas appliances and then relight all of the gas appliance pilots
- Only the propane service technician and/or emergency personnel can determine that the problem has been safely resolved, so wait for them to give you the OK to return
The Propane Education & Research Council (PERC) has created the learning modules below so that you can learn more about propane safety and tips for dealing with propane appliances for everything from heating your home to cooking. Click on the modules below to review the topics.
Propane Safety + Operation Tips