How to choose the right propane storage tank for your home
For people who only use propane for a freestanding grill, fire pit or patio heater, the only size container they’ve known is probably a portable 20-pound cylinder. Making the switch to propane for home heating or hot water means familiarizing yourself with the different stationary propane tank sizes.
At Roach Energy, our team has lots of experience helping new propane customers in the Eastern Panhandle region identify the right tank for their needs. Here’s a rundown of the standard tank sizes and factors we consider for choosing a propane tank.
Common propane tank sizes
There’s a range of propane tank sizes, from compact tanks meant to power one or two appliances to huge commercial models that hold tens of thousands of gallons.
It’s worth noting that propane companies only fill tanks to about 80 percent. Like water, propane expands with heat fluctuations, but its volume increases 17 times more than water. Leaving 20 percent empty space in a tank accounts for this volume change.
Here is a basic primer on standard residential tank sides and what they’re used for:
One or two appliances like ranges, dryers, space heaters or a water heater
Large propane appliances like water heaters, pool heaters or generators.
Whole-home heating for an average household
Heating and appliances for a larger home or commercial building
Choosing the right size propane tank
When the Roach Energy team works with a new propane customer, we consider the following variables:
Home size and number of appliances. How large a home heating system is involved, and how many additional appliances need fuel? With this information, we can see how much fuel your home will need each month.
The people living in your home. Older people and infants often require higher indoor temperatures, and remote workers will run heat longer than people who commute.
Plans for the future. Do you intend to move in an elderly relative, have a baby or build an extension on your house? All of these will increase your propane usage.
Regional climate. Homes located at higher altitudes and in areas with harsh winters will need more fuel than homes in milder climates.
Tank placement. Are you planning to bury your propane tank? Some tank sizes are not available for underground placement. Additionally, underground tanks require more coordination to install than aboveground models. You’ll need to excavate your property, and there might be additional permitting.
Roach Energy can handle any propane tank installation
Whether you’re adding propane to your home or looking to switch from a propane company that’s let you down, the Roach Energy team can take care of your tank and gas line needs. We sell and lease propane tanks in many sizes. Our technicians will work with you to find the right one for your home, then handle installation quickly and safely.